Thursday 18 July 2019

cycling to work

I thought about writing a new poem for you
I thought about the terra incognita I'd travelled to with you
I thought about the poems I'd written in Portugal about being half awake and half asleep
I thought about being half present when cycling uphill to work and seeing two dead moths on the side of the road within five seconds
I thought about climate change, if the moths had been killed by the cars
I thought about you and I battling through the elements to get to work and how that was a metaphor for so much more
I thought about the new cyclists on the road now the mornings were light and warm
I thought about sea levels rising and what you'll look like when you're pregnant
I thought about early nights and lie ins in our new house
I thought about playing with your hair and how much you like it
I thought about how different the world looks now
I thought about how that could be ambiguous but what I mean is the whole earth taking a new shape and being carved by the bigger picture happening above our heads and below our feet and around us
I thought about how different the world would look in 20 years time but I also thought about how some things might look the same, your hair still between my fingers, your cheekbones still protruding at the same angle
I thought about fishing nets catching things they can't sell and throwing these dead animals back in the sea
I thought about waking up next to you and you waking up next to me

No comments:

Post a Comment