Tuesday 15 January 2019

it's so stupid to want to compare a vote in parliament about the UK's relationship with the EU once they've left it and the stupid lust I feel for you.

Today the boys are voting,
I imagine them in wooden booths with pencils tied on with string,
pieces of paper with the words AYE
and NOE for them to circle.
The room is full of smoke because everyone's puffing on a Pall Mall because we're so nervous.

I worry about the wood going up in smoke but I love the wood and that burning ember because
number one the wood is the colour of your jacket
number two the ember is the colour of your hair.

Once the AYEs and the NOEs have been counted
nothing will ever be the same again;
like it wasn't after june 2016
like it wasn't after june 2017
like it wasn't after may 2015, when Dave had promised a referendum.

And once I've counted the times you've walked past me,
and the number of steps between me and you,
nothing will ever be the same again;
like it wasn't after september 2000
like it wasn't after august 2011
like it wasn't after june 2017, when like Dave I won but lost it all.

Either way we have no control;
you or I or anyone over Brexit,
you or I or anyone over the lust I feel for you.
I just sit here and think about the wood, the burning ember,
your coat, your hair and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment